|City of Groves
P.O. Box 846
Groves, TX 77619
|Groves is a vibrant, family-oriented community. It offers all the amenities needed for the middle to upper class residents. Parks, libraries, recreation building with planned activities, sports facilities including churches of all denominations. Our schools are rated among the top in the state, offering high academics, arts, culture and technical skills. A regional airport is 8 minutes away. Groves is a very warm, friendly community; a community for individual friendships and social relations, but with family living in mind. You will find the qualities of courtesy and hospitality uppermost in all your contact with new friends.|
History of Groves
In 1919, Wiley Choate, then employed by Griffin Brothers Nursery, supervised the planting of 6,000 pecan trees that have made Groves one of the most beautiful communities in this area. These trees were set out in rows over a 385-acre tract.
Several years later the land was sold to a Madison, Wisconsin, real estate syndicate which developed it into a residential subdivision. Asa B. Groves, representative of the syndicate, was the man for whom Groves was named.
On December 7, 1952, approximately 7500 residents of Groves voted to incorporate as a township within the boundaries of Main Avenue, Highway 87, Hogaboom Road, and the Kansas City Southern Railway right-of-way. The City of Groves held their first official election on December 27, 1952.
In the meantime, the area west of Main Avenue, known as "Wesgroves", was under threat of being annexed by Port Arthur. The annexation election was held on January 26, 1953, and was soundly defeated by Wesgroves voters. On February 28, 1953, Wesgroves voters went to the polls and voted to incorporate as a town. The first officials of the Town of Wesgroves were elected on April 7, 1953. On June 13, 1953, a merger election was held in Groves and in Wesgroves, and the two cities voted to unite. In compliance with Texas law, the smaller city assumed the name and governing body of the larger city.
Groves’ land area is approximately 6 sq. miles, with Port Neches on the north boundary and Port Arthur on the south, east, and west.
Last Full Weekend in September